Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Wife of Alcoholic needs help!?

When I first met my husband he would have a social drink about once a week. He wouldn't get wasted but he would drink about 6 beers. About two years after being together I noticed he started to have a few beers every night. I didn't think to much about this because he was at a new job and the guys he worked with all drank a couple beers at the end of the day. He then started to buy a 6 pack of 16oz (equal to 8 normal beers) every night. I started to get concerned. He said that he would get stressed at work and this helped him relax. Not to mention his best friend also drank the same amount. Now 6 years later, he can not go a day without beer. He drinks about 16 a night. He has tried to quite and it last about a week and he goes back. I have noticed a big change in our relationship too. He is more distant and he will not do anything or go anywhere where beer is not served. When anyone tries to talk to him he is rude, interrupts, and will not let them get a word in. This is in simple every day conversation. When he gets home from work he is usually easy to get along with and easy to talk to. About an hour later (after about 5 beers) is when i start to notice him get more irritable and not talking.Usually by the end of the night you can not even have a real conversation with him. The week that he does not drink (when is tries to quit) he is a lot more pleasant to be around and seems to notice I am in the house. We had a discussion about children the other night and it went terrible. He said that he does not want children and that I was selfish for wanting to help over populate the world. I want to blame this on the alcohol but do not know what is him or the beer talking anymore. Several people have told me how different he is now. You do not see him without a beer in his hand unless he is at work. He claims his behavior does not change because of the alcohol that he just gets tired. He comes from a family of alcoholics so it seems to be hereditary. I just don't know what to do. I am lost. This is not the man i married. he used to be so sweet and caring. Now he is controlling and short with me. I have always been supportive of him and do anything I can to please him. There is many times when he is drunk he likes to tell me how bad of job i do and that i need to get better about cleaning the house or something stupid and will sit on his while he tells me to vacuum now! I want to have a family someday but with his drinking i do not think it is the right time. How do I help him? How do i help myself? What do i do? He doesnt want to go to AA and he doesnt really want to quit drinking (he says it controls his stress but i believe his stress in just withdrawl). I feel alone.. I love him so much but i do not love what alcohol turns him into!

No comments:

Post a Comment